09 April 2011

RETIRED. OR UNEMPLOYED. OR A HOUSEWIFE...

Today is my first official day of not having a job. I had a couple moments of depression waking up this morning. The last time I was unemployed I was fresh out of college. I had just moved to Columbus and had signed a lease on an apartment before I obtained a paycheck. There is no motivation to find a job like owing rent. I was so motivated that I went out and got three jobs at one time. I worked full time as an office temp during the week and worked at two mall stores nights and weekends. I remember during the holidays I would open at one store and close at the other. I think all that activity led to my first burn out. After having all that running through my head, I remembered that this time unemployment was my choice. I wanted to take some time off and try to figure out life in a new part of the world. Sigh, heart palpitations over.


So what did I do on my first official day of unemployment? I did what every housewife does - I went shopping. If you have been reading this blog, you will know that there are always local shopping malls because malls are more frequent than Starbucks. Today we even found a mall underground that connected a number of other malls under the streets! 


Our mall of choice today, Suntec City, was developed over more than a decade to become a city within a city (and it is). The mall boasts more than 7 million square feet of commercial space including offices, 2 million square feet for retail stores and a convention center within five towers that are all connected by plazas, walkways and courtyards. The towers are in the shape of a hand, a left hand to be precise, with an 18-story office block as the thumb, four 45-story office towers as the remaining fingers and a six-story convention center forming the wrist. According to the mall's website, the fountain in the palm of the hand is in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest fountain in the world. And, for those fortunate enough to have a car in Singapore, there are 7,000 parking spaces. 


Once we were done shopping for lighter and airier clothes, we went to the Funan DigitaLife Mall, Asia's leading IT shopping mall. That's right, Johnny B, an entire eight-story mall of IT and electronic gadgets as well as any accessory you can imagine. It was crazy. I am not sure whether Paul was excited or just overwhelmed, but I think the number of stores was a little more than he could handle in one glance. 


All that shopping was enough to wipe me out. We came back, ate a light lunch and now I am ready to nap by the pool. Anyone want to hire me yet?

No comments: