09 April 2013

TWO YEARS, SEVEN DAYS



It has been two years and seven days since Paul and I first landed in Singapore. When we arrived, I had a ton of emotions (excitement, wonder, anxiety) and now, within 30 minutes of leaving, I felt almost nothing. I blame PNG.

Paul’s job plans have changed so many times over the last few weeks that, after last week’s admitted freak out, I have lost absolutely all emotion. Twice since Paul accepted the offer, he was advised that his job may fall through. We made travel plans around his training schedule, then cancelled those plans when we were advised he was not authorized to commence training. Saturday evening, we received word that training was back on so Paul is flying out tomorrow, only hours after I arrived in Salem. Instead of rearranging my schedule again to be with him, I am staying put because I don’t want to deal with it.

Two weeks ago we were certain we would continue to call Singapore home; seven days ago, certainty faded. Saturday evening I should have been frustrated and angry about the idea of rearranging travel yet again but I realized that I wasn’t – I wanted to be angry but I just wasn’t. The latest news just didn’t faze me. I felt nothing.

I got a little emotional on the way to the airport when the cab driver drove passed my exit. Though we had moved out two days prior, it was as if this gaze through the trees would have been my last. When my plane took off, I kept my eyes on the Singapore lights shining through the hazy midnight sky. I quietly said good-bye to all of the ships and barges that infested the waterways and blocked any hope of beautiful views.

I watched the city lights until they were embraced by the clouds and then took one final deep breath that either symbolized the conclusion of an amazing two years or the relief of knowing that the drama was over and I could now focus on the next chapter.

Two years ago, I remember being unsure of the culture, unsure of the food and unsure how Paul and I would settle in more than 9,500 miles from the place we used to call home. We were unsure how we would handle being around each other, how we would handle our new employment and lack-of-employment situations. We weren’t sure exactly how to find what we needed and we didn’t know anyone who could tell us. One thing we did know was that Singapore seemed to be very similar to Florida, substituting Asians for Latinos.

Two years later we are considered experts by our friends. Paul has established himself as the go-to-pilot in Southeast Asia and I am a new expat wife’s best friend. We have a much better understanding of Christianity thanks to the amazing New Creation Church. We have tremendously grown as a couple because we had the opportunity to learn how to navigate this new life together, side by side.

We found work connections that gave us experience and the ability to help others. The friends we have made will not quickly fade and I certainly look forward to seeing them all again. 

No comments: